Forum
Help and support
 compressor
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
XnmE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10 2005 14:40    
compressor

How to set E-Phonic XPressor on master track?

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
InHousePussy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10 2005 22:23    

Open the vst and look in the top left in the window...the pulldown thingy. From there you can select wich track including mastertrack..Wink
View user's journal Send private message
XnmE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10 2005 22:28    

i mean... how to correcty set it up...

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
InHousePussy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10 2005 22:43    

Now that's a tough one...Really depends on what effect you're after...You'll have to fiddle around a bit... have a look in www.futureproducers.com , they have loads of tips and tricks..
Good luck Wink
View user's journal Send private message
XnmE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10 2005 22:50    

i think about a light "mastering like" compression/limiting thing

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11 2005 00:12    

i'd say look for a real limiter.

in this case, i'd take a high ratio, and start with the threshold at zero, slide it down till you like what you hear. but get a limiter. Like Kjaerhus (or something like that) Classic Limiter. I always put that on the master with threshold at zero, to prevent it from clipping. i use izotope ozone for mastering.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
XinetdD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11 2005 08:04    

I find the Waves C4 compressor and L2 Maximizer to be really good.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
XnmE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11 2005 10:37    

When i'm releasing song as an mp3, usually i'm just loadading a wav file to Cool Edit Pro and putting normalize, hard limiter and stereo expand (sometimes EQ first)

I wanted to use included with MT2.5 effect to make song louder and more punchy as a mt2 file.

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
N0N

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11 2005 16:28    

A bass expander gives bass really good punch, like baxxpander used on both drum kicks and bass.

And a nice graphical eq like LinearPhaseGraphicEQ 2.1.5 works awsome.

Then there is always the mgphaseshifter which is really cool when adding it to your leads, pretty much does the same thing as the 08 0200 effect in MT but has more options really neat.

But for mastering Izotope ozone is cool, or Wave Arts Multidynamics for people on a small budget (like me).

But yea, I think punch is usually done while writing. and these things help that out. its kinda hard to just say after a completed song, OK now i want punch to it and your armed with an eq, compressor, and limiter, or even something like multidynamics (not sure about ozone). But, i've tried that, it never worked for me, my songs just got louder and less dynamic. there are a few more vst's out there like airfx and harmony exciters that might help, but I havent used them yet.

hope this helps.
XnmE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11 2005 19:23    

thanx

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Atlantis
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 2005 05:10    

Perhaps if you post a screenshot of the compressor interface, I can make some suggestions about how to set it up.

For light mastering though, you would probably want a very low ratio, quite a deep threshold, a short attack, and quite a long release. Show me a screenshot though and I'll give you a bit more useful advice.

Atlantis [Atlantean Records]

multiband professor/eq professor/Nur-Ab-Sal
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XnmE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 2005 15:03    

click for a full size

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Atlantis
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 2005 06:02    

OK, well the threshold will determine at what sample value the compressor will start working, so ideally you want to set this at a point where you can hear an effect. Depending on the peak volume of the music, this could be around -10 dB or so.

I'm not quite sure how to read the meter below it, but it looks like a gain reduction meter that shows the amount of attenuation. You might want this to read between 2.5 and 6.0 dB or so, or maybe the red line just needs to indicate some movement.

Attack should be as low as possible, but the lower, the more smoothed out the transients (quick, sharp increases in volume) will be. So maybe start with 1 ms, and if you find the sound lacks punch and definition, increase it to around 3 or 4 ms, as is already the case. For a really punchy result, set the attack to 10 ms or greater and the compressor will overshoot the initial attacks of sounds so that they become more prominent as only the release portion of sound is reduced in volume, though this is often not neccessary with music produced in a digital environment using samples.

Release could be around 50 ms, or less depending on how 'loud' you want the sound to be. A shorter release will also mean you will start to hear distortion, so watch out you don't set it too low. 32 ms could be OK, but maybe a bit short for 'light' mastering, as the result will maybe be a bit too loud and harsh.

I have no idea what stereo enhance does in a compressor.

The output value could be the gain makeup of the compressor, though 29 dB sounds very high for that. It's probably some arbitrary value, but you would probably want to follow the compressor with a limiter anyway so it doesn't really matter whether you raise the overall gain at the end anyway.

The preset you currently have seems to look OK though, but maybe try increasing the release time a little and reducing the attack time a little to suit your music. And of course make sure the threshold value is sufficiently low, as factory presets aren't designed to know the maximum peak volume of your music.

Atlantis [Atlantean Records]

multiband professor/eq professor/Nur-Ab-Sal
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XnmE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 2005 17:57    

thanx!

i'm still not sure how "Commpression" meter should work...

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 2005 20:20    

get a compressor with some normal controls i'd say, this one is kinda experimental.

get one with threshold, ratio, attack, release and make up gain. much easier to handle. Kjaerhus classic compressor works fine for me.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next