Help and support
 Newbie with some questions
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Achiel
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27 2005 20:26    
Newbie with some questions

Hi everyone,

I've been working with Impulse Tracker about a decade ago. At that time, I created nothing but hardcore tracks, up to the point that I sent a demo tape to a local radio station contest (although I didn't win anything). Now, 10 years later, I'm starting all over, albeit with (hard)trance instead.

After reading the FAQ and several forum postings, I still have a few questions for you guys. Hope you can answer some or all of them...

- Where do you get your samples? Can you download them somewhere or do you buy dozens of sample cds?
- Do you only use 16-bit stereo 44.100 samples, or also samples of a lower quality?
- Once you're thinking about releasing your work (to a demo contest or even to a site like this one), do you register with some kind of musicians' organisation that protects you and your work from copying etc?
- I still have thousands of samples that I've used in IT. Problem is, MT doesn't see them, even if I select 'all files' in the browser window. They don't have a common file extension like .WAV for example. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

greetz,
Achiel

EDIT: ok sorry, just found Inge's site list. My bad!
View user's journal Send private message
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 2005 14:58    
Re: Newbie with some questions

Achiel wrote:

- I still have thousands of samples that I've used in IT. Problem is, MT doesn't see them, even if I select 'all files' in the browser window. They don't have a common file extension like .WAV for example. Is there a solution to this?

Are you able to identify what kind of sample you`we got? Try a converter tool like Awave, or something to convert your samples to wav.

Hopefully this will help you.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 2005 16:23    

Achiel wrote:
Hi everyone,

- Do you only use 16-bit stereo 44.100 samples, or also samples of a lower quality?

In short, yes. Always use high quality samples when possible. Sometimes there are samples that you really want to use, but there are no high quality versions available. In that case you have to consider the low quality versions.

Achiel wrote:

- Once you're thinking about releasing your work (to a demo contest or even to a site like this one), do you register with some kind of musicians' organisation that protects you and your work from copying etc?

Naah. Never took my music that seriously...

Achiel wrote:

Like Martin said, try Awave, it should be able to convert most things you throw at it.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Achiel
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05 2005 18:17    

Martin wrote:

Are you able to identify what kind of sample you`we got? Try a converter tool like Awave, or something to convert your samples to wav.

Hopefully this will help you.

I've tried Awave, but the unregistered version only converts one sample at a time. Batch conversion costs money, apparently. Are there other tools that can do this?

TIA
Peter
Blaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05 2005 18:34    

What type are these samples you speak of? most soundeditors have batch conversion available. for instance: goldwave

united trackers
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Achiel
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05 2005 18:40    

I think they are in RAW format. I'll try Goldwave and let you know if that works for me.
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour