Forum - Usb Midi Controller.
 Forum
Help and support
 Usb Midi Controller.
Reply to topic Post new topic  
kmotiv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 2005 13:17    
Usb Midi Controller.

It's time. I'm going to my local music shop today to lay down some big bucks on a midi controller keyboard. Problem is, I have no idea which one will work the best with madtracker/and all the vst plugins that I use. I mostly use the Korg legacy collection, and I've heard that their keyboard work the beset with the Korg vsts. Any help? What do you guys use?

Also...I want something expandable, as I've recently started messing around with reason/logic/fl studio/ableton.

Also...my soundcard isn't so hot, and I need an external soundcard (preferable with lots o' ins and outs) Is there any type of keyboard/soundcard combo that I could get? I've got lots of usb2.0 slots and a pcmcia slot. Somebody help? Thanks peeps...

::kmotiv:::
debut lp: the abstraction agenda
$9.99 at kmotiv.com,
cdbaby & tower records
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
QBical

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 2005 17:46    

There isn't realy much to say about midi controllers, there all pretty much the same. If you want lots of knobs ( that don't work within madtracker though Sad ) check out www.m-audio.com or www.evolution.co.uk

Both have all kinds of ( quality ) controllers, some with key's some with knobs and some with both!

grtz!
Raymond

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 2005 18:14    

I have the m-audio radium 49, works for me. 16 knobs, 49 keys, pitch wheel and modulation wheel. there are some other functions too, but i don't know how to use 'em (or if i even should) Razz

If you're a good keys player you may have some special taste on how the keys should feel or something, then you have to just go to a shop and try out different keyboards. But if you played keys you'd probably have a keyboard already, so i'm guessing this is not the case.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Blaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 2005 19:42    

you might want to check out Edirol too, the PC1A (I think it's called Smile) has a build in audio interface. m-audio also has midi controllers with build in audio interfaces. Those are ideal in a laptop environment and of good quality.

I would have bought one of those to replace my soundcard if I hadn't already invested in a radium49 a few years ago. I now have a tascam us122 usb audio interface, works fine Smile

united trackers
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aRGee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14 2005 19:10    

Iīve bought this one recently:

http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk449c.htm

Very nice keyboard and easy to install + you donīt need an additional power-supply, cause itīs powered via the usb-port.
Be aware you canīt use the controller-knobs/sliders in Madtracker! Other sequencer like Orion platinum allow you to assign these knobs/sliders to any vsti-knob/slider, and are capable of recording their movement.
View user's journal Send private message MSN Messenger
aRGee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14 2005 19:22    

Walter Vos wrote:

If you're a good keys player you may have some special taste on how the keys should feel or something, then you have to just go to a shop and try out different keyboards. But if you played keys you'd probably have a keyboard already, so i'm guessing this is not the case.

Theīre also keyboards with weighted keys, to give it more of a piano feel. These are usually a lot more expensive and not really neccesary if youīre not allready used to it.
View user's journal Send private message MSN Messenger
rourin
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14 2005 23:06    

personally I bought a prodikeys keyboard, you know the keyboard that looks like a keyboard engaged sexual activities with a synth and had a baby with it.

I used to have a big real piano('til I didn't know where to put it anymore) so getting used to the feel of the prodikeys was a bit hard, mostly since the feel of the keys aren't top class. going live with it is a no-can-do, though, even though all the shortcuts in mt are very close at hand. but I use a mates keyboard for that, a terratec midi-keyboard, not sure of what model it is. we work in team, him and I, so we really just need one good rehersal/live-keyboard.

it suits my needs for music making at home, though, since I wouldn't know where to put a real midi-keyboard and still be able to reach the keys on the keyboard here, but live or at a rehersal I use the spare one at my mates place.

even though the keyboard can be a noob-stamp I'd say it fits everyone, really. I can say that because I've been playing piano and synth for 12 years now. Smile no fancy knobs or controllers, though. that's a downside. if they made the keys better with more "response feel" to them and a bit larger and put more functions on it it would even work live. unfortunately they didn't. Rolling Eyes

whew, long review about a keyboard noone gives a damn about. Wink

(there's two models, though. I use the dm-version. the other one is in the shape of a guitarsynth probably made for live purposes. haven't tried that one).
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kmotiv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 2005 17:32    

Update:

I went ahead and got Korg microKontrol. I'm pretty happy with it...one problem though. Dang it Madtracker! Your midi support needs to be better! Assignable for everything!

I also got a e-mu 1616m which I am quite happy with so far....still trying to figure out all the little details about this new gear! I'm a midi newb so it's be an interesting ride so far.

::kmotiv:::
debut lp: the abstraction agenda
$9.99 at kmotiv.com,
cdbaby & tower records
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour