MadTracker.org
Forum - Maryleen Bay : New french Dance wonder !
 Forum
Music talk
 Maryleen Bay : New french Dance wonder !
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
TNK / ATK project

Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 2005 01:43    
Maryleen Bay : New french Dance wonder !

Hi all,

Here comes the teaser of Maryleen Bay's upcoming album called Déguiser les étoiles (Disguise the stars).

If you like commercial dance & trance, Maryleen will definitely be your cup of tea !

Click on her picture to listen/download the teaser :

You can also visit Maryleen's blog (in french) and leave her a message using this form

Enjoy !

TNK
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
QBical

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 2005 11:29    

Do you have a role in this Smile

Grtz
Raymond

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
TNK / ATK project

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 2005 13:47    

QBical wrote:
Do you have a role in this Smile

Grtz
Raymond

Yep : Composed all the music, co-wrote some lyrics, defined the overall sound, recorded the artist, coproduced it all (together with the lyricist), took the pictures (You've got one here, I've got 200 Megs on my HD), will design the CD cover & booklet and probably direct the videoclips.

(Besides this, I'm not busy at all).

Check the ID3 tag of the file, you'll find out who's behind this Smile
MC Project

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26 2005 17:54    

Hmmm, sorry for being so honest, but I didn't like the teaser. It sounds very helium-a-like and very uncompressed.

And I do like trance, dance. I like all sorts of music.

Still, good luck with everything Smile

Sure......I am the MCP....Or just MC...Uhmmm...I make battle music...There....That is more then enough...
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26 2005 18:49    

MC Project wrote:
It sounds very helium-a-like and very uncompressed.

where did you get the idea that it's uncompressed? it's the exact opposite.

i don't like it either btw, i don't think you've spotted a hole in the market (not sure if this expression can be translated from dutch to english) or something. good luck anyway, and congrats on producing a whole pop album, that's something i'd really like to be able to do someday.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
MC Project

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26 2005 22:23    

Well, I got the idea, because of the signs that go into my ear, which go to my head and get converted to sound by my brains tell me so...

In other words, I'm not very technical when it is about sound, but I do know when something doesn't sound right, that are my skills. I was actually planning on asking a friend to explain me things about the technical side of sound...

Hell, I do not even know what treshold means Laughing

But, what you say could be very correct. Is the reason that it sounds helium a like due to overcompression?
TNK / ATK project

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 2005 02:25    

MC Project wrote:
It sounds very helium-a-like and very uncompressed.

Walter Vos wrote:
where did you get the idea that it's uncompressed? it's the exact opposite.

It *is* compressed. A lot, but not more than other dance projects I heard (Ever heard how compressed Benassi Bros's music is ?).

The "Helium voice" is more or less Maryleen's trademark. To "spot a hole" in the market, your voice must be instantly recognizable (once you heard it). The market does not look for another Céline Dion clone but for voices that you immediately recognize, so that when a new song comes out, when you hear it at the radio, you immediately recognize the voice and therefore know this artist has released a new track. It happens that Maryleen is the most recognizable and the most original in her highest octaves (ever heard a singer singing that way ?). That's why the tracks we make for her are very high pitched (Bee gees inside, I know). The compression has nothing to do with the high pitch and crystal clarity of her voice.

Walter Vos wrote:
i don't like it either btw

What didn't you like ?

Walter Vos wrote:
I don't think you've spotted a hole in the market

One never knows. We know we have a special voice. Not a powerful one, but an immediately recognizable one. Besides this we had it tested in clubs all around France (Bastia, Saint-Tropez, Périgueux and Bartenheim) and the response was always huge.

Walter Vos wrote:
good luck anyway, and congrats on producing a whole pop album, that's something i'd really like to be able to do someday.

Thanks.
The album is far from being finished by now. We've recorded 5 tracks so far (and this teaser is made of pieces taken from 4 tracks) and I'm working on the 6th right now. We expect the album to be finished in late March / early April 2006, but we already have pre-orders and the support of several radios and clubs throughout France, Belgium, Canada and Switzerland.

Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
MC Project

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 2005 03:31    

Actually she reminds me of ehhhh, what is she called...

Alize?

But that is because it is french I think...

And I was referring to the beat when I was talking about the 'helium a like' thing...

Oh well... Razz

Sure......I am the MCP....Or just MC...Uhmmm...I make battle music...There....That is more then enough...
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 2005 11:21    

So the teaser gives a taste of several tracks? Sorry to be brutally honest here, but didn't like it. The snippets from various songs were too short to give an impression of what it's really about imo. I wouldn't buy the album (not even a single) based on this. I'd rather hear a longer snippet of a track once and then move over to the next track, instead of getting bounced back and forth between them.

Also, seems you are pretty keen on the whole reverb/delay thing on her voice. A de-esser on some occasions might be good also. And on top of that a flanger effect seems to be used pretty often (or is it just the swoosh effect that constantly signals transitions, or maybe I'm just confused since the teaser bounces back and forth between tracks so much).

But kudos to you for producing a complete album. Seems you're in the right business at least Smile
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 2005 12:31    

Quote:
Besides this we had it tested in clubs all around France (Bastia, Saint-Tropez, Périgueux and Bartenheim) and the response was always huge.

We're touching upon taste here, but what *on earth* do people listen to in France? You have The Hacker, Vitalic, Blackstrobe, Maxence Cyrin, Laurent Garnier, and what not more, and then people enjoy consuming this - pardon me - utter crap? Call me an elitist, but even those who listen to trance/dance in the Netherlands would definately see through this recycled end-of-90's trancepophouseballads. Really: you would *not* want to read a possible review that I would write about this LP.

Now, apart from taste: I agree with Sunbuster on the production. Too much reverb, too much enhancements in the high freq's, too overdone. I know what the idea behind such a snippet-showcase is, but maybe I'm just getting too old for so much variety in such little time. Maybe the 16-year-old-breezer-consuming-generation digs it. I personally not.

Care for a game of Monopoly?
MC Project

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 2005 14:44    

Man, and I thought I was rude Shocked

Wow, is trance/ dance really like this in France?

It is really different here in Holland then...

Though, there is a song I once heard which was nice, same kind of style... I think Surprised

I think it was called Solo Tu

Don't know which language it is Razz

Silas Rye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 2005 19:33    
bass

For dance music the basse is pretty squashed out, i run most things through an eq for my speakers to pump up(some times to much) the bass, and with my eq on, it was still very hi ended, and lacking lows.
Elijah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 2005 20:55    
Re: bass

tnk, i have always noticed in your production that the vocals are ALWAYS hiding. and this personally drives me crazy. otherwise the music is ok. it has a strong experimental edge, but that could also be due to the the production... something is a bit wrong.

but yah man... take the phaser and stereo enhancer off the vox. do the 2 takes panned out to get a better vocal effect. i hate stereo spreaders. arg. or detuners whatever you are using. it kinda sounds like mda detune or mda stereo. yah...

sorry.

- Elijah
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bigandymac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28 2005 17:03    

in the uk the biggest market for cd singles is 12-16 year old girls. I think this is the sort of music that would appeal to that demographic, so as a money making exercise you're definately on the right track.
When you arent writing music is this the sort of music you listen to?

from a production point i agree with what others have said, singing louder, less fx and much more bass.

cheers

andy
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
QBical

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29 2005 17:20    

Well, I didn't see the link to download the snips, now I did Smile

I have to agree with the lot here, but I think there is a market for this kind of music, but the thing you REALY need to work out are the vocals, they don' stand out much. And in pop music the voice/music ratio is 80/20.

So, record several takes, compress the hell out of it, lose some of the bathroom verb/delay to get the vocal more upfront in the mix and you shall be fine Smile

I don't know if you're finished mixing, because in the music there is far to much mid-low freqs giving your mix a nice smack of mud all over it, not good Wink

I recommend cutting some of the freq's around 200 Hz or something, or let a prof. studio mix these tracks.

Grtz
Raymond

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next