MadTracker.org
Forum - How to preserve the samplequality best?
 Forum
Help and support
 How to preserve the samplequality best?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
PyroZane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 2006 19:40    
How to preserve the samplequality best?

I have always learned that gain can be bad for samples, if you want best quality possible? But what is bad for the samples inside madtracker 2? You have like 5 ways to edit the volume?

1: Sample volume
2: Gain
3: Instrument volume
4: mixer track volume
5: mixer master volume

To get the best quality from sample to wav export, I guess I should set ( gain) to 1, and max all other volume bars to max (samplevolume, instrument volume and mixer track and master volume)? Is this true or false? or is there other things that counts in here? Also never normalize a sample? Is any of the volumbars producing gain also if you trigger them to high?

EDIT: Is it the same thing with volume and gain in vsts also?

http://pyrozane.madtracker.net/
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 2006 23:00    

The gain setting in MadTracker actually doesn't increase the volume. Instead, it reduces it less. From the 32-bit of the internal audio stream, MT will only pick 16-bit from the range defined by the gain. The higher the gain, the most significant bits are taken. So you don't loose any dynamics.

So, you should keep the gain to 4 (the default); and adapt the volumes in any other level (instrument, mixer, etc. there will be no difference).

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
QBical

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25 2006 09:45    

I think it's all up to your own ears, if you think that every thing should be loud and clipping, then you and your ears suck, but that is not the case here... Wink ( is it? :p)

anywayz,
if you have bad samples try to reduce them even more and sink them deep in the mix ( using a filter or something ) and no-one will notice, using filters/eq even on good samples is a nice way of ensuring that only the frequency's you want get thru. that way they will sound much more crisp.

but I don't think it has something to do with overal gain, nah...

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
PyroZane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26 2006 08:34    

I haven't had much troubles with the samples yet, I was more wondering than having trubles:) Knowlege is always good:)Yannick explained what I needed to know, so no problem anymore:) Thanks for help to both of you:)

One more thing: In vsti's that has adjustable gain, I guess the gain also reduce less there also? (most probably??)

http://pyrozane.madtracker.net/
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26 2006 16:18    

In the case of VST gain, that depends on the plugin. My guess is that most of them multiply the output by a floating point number. VST work with floating point buffers, so in theory you don't loose any dynamics when you amplify the signal or when you reduce the volume.

Yannick
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour