Forum
General discussion
 Mozilla vs Internet Explorer
Reply to topic Post new topic  
plugexpert
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23 2006 13:34    
Mozilla vs Internet Explorer

according to a friend I should quit using the unstable Internet Explorer and move over to the world of Mozilla.

Is this browsing tool really that much better, stable, less vurnerable to adware / spyware / virusses as he claims it is? I mean I already run tons of software on my computer, like counterspy / errordoctor & lately zonealarm.. if installing Mozilla makes my comp. inpenetrable I can delete most of that stuff, right?

any of you guys have experience with it?

grtz

Richard

http://plugexpert.bandcamp.com/
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23 2006 14:32    

You can find more info on Firefox here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

I would urge to read about the browser here to get the information you need. Hopefully this will provide you with enough information to make a decision.

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~

Last edited by Martin on Thu Mar 23 2006 14:54; edited 1 time in total
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23 2006 14:50    

In a nutshell: it's not what you use, it's how you use it. The amount of vulnerabilities, available exploits and speed of patch-releases will be approximately equal (debatable, although I don't think IE is that far behind). The integration of IE in Windows (for example due to ActiveX-support) makes it a more vulnerable tool to use, but the user first must be stupid enough to accept dangerous applications to be granted access.

Don't let anyone scare you: if you visit normal sites and don't do any odd stuff, then you're pretty safe in both conditions.

On a personal note: I tend to install Firefox at computers that I re-install for friends, since in my experience it is a safer tool to use. I've heard thousands of stories claiming this to be untrue, so I don't think either one of the browsers is safer than the other by default.

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
G3ronimo
Hot & Sexeh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23 2006 18:05    

If you don't serve for free pron and god knows what then you will be free of spyware Wink (well not completely free, but as good as)

and in case you get a lil' trojan or spy thingy smthing use hitmanpro

hitmanpro is 1337

www.soundsector.net
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
patm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23 2006 19:39    

FireFox is my preferred browser.
It is not for someone who is totally computer illeterate however.
Once you have added some of the most useful extensions, you will have a superior browser.
Here is the forum to search for answers:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

I have used many different versions in the last several years.
The last I tried was Ver 1.5.1 which is supposidly more safe than previous versions.
This week I ran into loading Java online.
Because of this I have reverted back to Ver 1.07 and have all the extensions that I really like.
Be aware if you have problems, deleting the program and reinstalling will not cure your problem.
Your profile is kept in a separate folder that is not deleted when you uninstall the program, and will reappear when you do a new install.
Your best friend is the forum where you can find most answers to any questions you may have.
View user's journal Send private message
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24 2006 22:26    

I mainly use Firefox atm. but as far as security goes I doubt IE is any less safe technically. It probably just suffers from the same problem Windows does. It's the most popular software and it's Microsoft that makes it (therefore it has to bed bad), thus it's more attractive for the bad guys. So from a security point of view it might be safer to use Firefox because of this. But like Inge said, as long as you don't do anything stupid you're probably safe using either option.
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24 2006 22:42    

Good point there from Sunbuster: if Firefox would get big(ger), malicious codes would be written more frequently. I've already ran into one or two dangerous xpi-extensions (the plugins that can be installed to add new features to Firefox), and that would definately increase once more users would start using Firefox.

Furthermore, attacking Firefox-users ain't really bright at the moment, since the majority of them are computer enthousiasts who can estimate in most cases what is dangerous and what is not. The majority of IE-users are regular users, and these generally (speaking from five years of helpdesk experience) aren't world brightest persons concerning computer knowledge.

(no offence if you do use IE btw; I'm pretty sure all MadTracker-users are hardcore 1337 computer wizards with sheer endless skills and hacking abilities Mr. Green )

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour