MadTracker.org
Forum - Mixing: Songs sounds "thin" if not played loud?
 Forum
Help and support
 Mixing: Songs sounds "thin" if not played loud?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 2003 13:00    
Mixing: Songs sounds "thin" if not played loud?

Hey all

Im working slowly on two (debut) tracks of mine, that share a common problem. I have to play them rather loud to get them sound as powerfull and rich as I want them to sound. Now – I could finish them and stick a “play it loud” comment on them, but I would like to know if any of you guys might have some sort of mixing tip that would aid me in mixing it up a little better, so that I would get the same “drive” of my samples when played at a more normal volume.

The one song is a typical riff-based rock – where I dont think that the guitar riff is full enough without playing it loud, the other song is more “Big Band” where the brass samples are quite nice, but again the same problem – they dont sound as rich and powerfull as when I play the song loud. I`m guessing that this is a typical newbie mixing problem Wink

What do i do? – Resample and put some distortion on the samples that I want to stand out?,or lower the volume on the other samples? I have tried this – but then the songs sounds poorly balanced when played loud. Is it simply a matter of finding the middle ground ??

I`m just beginning to learn about mixing so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

- Martin
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
goose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 2003 14:54    
Read this tutorial

"Mastering" your tracks can really solve this sometimes as this can increase overall volume, but getting your mix right to start with is better... And in order to understand the problems you are facing, read this excellent tutorial series...

http://www.dnbscene.com/articles.php?mode=display&id=79

Idea Very Happy

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 2003 15:56    
Thanks!

Thanks! - after reading the first section of this tutorial it seems like its precisly what I am looking for.

Smile Martin
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 2003 17:43    

goose: that link was very cool, was a very interesting read. I now have some clues I didn't have before Smile
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 2003 12:27    

I agree! Very well written tutorial - with lots of good tips. Definetly recommendable! Thanks again Goose!
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06 2003 11:20    

Intresting tutorial indeed, although I was looking forward to get read more about compression but found out that it's not written yet. Sad

Also it would have been better with some concretic examples (wav/mp3) files. To tell you the truth I have actually no idea what kind of difference it would be in a normal tracked piece and then properly mastered one, so if someone could post a demonstration it would be fun.

Only mastering I've done myself so far was in Kalastajapappa where I compressed the bass (with some random settings) to make the volumes not bounce that much and then apply some eq to the quitars to make the sound brighter.

Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06 2003 11:40    

Wanna hear an immediate result? Get BBE sonic maximiser and waves ultramaximiser, chain them in wavelab, and apply them to any song. Then post back Smile

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
goose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08 2003 10:22    

Yep, not knocking those tools at all... but Inge, I've now had my tracks mastered properly (Beringer hardware etc)and put them on my website. You'll notice the difference between them now and the versions that you downloaded before that were just put through ultramaximiser. The most obvious difference is just sheer extra volume that is squeezed out of it.. Razz

Oh yeah, plus there is a new 2003 remix I did: The Bells of Notredamn. Enjoy.

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08 2003 22:16    

Gonna listen! Boem tak...boem tak!

Inge

ps: be wise, add this news to the music section. A better place for feedback (and less cutting/moving/redirecting work for me Smile)

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 2003 17:48    

Hey

I found another usefull link on this topic, the article offers some tips on equalising, and a general overwiev of different frequencies and how to manipulate them...

Kick Drum

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300Hz. Try a small boost around 5-7kHz to add some high end.

50-100Hz ~ Adds bottom to the sound
100-250Hz ~ Adds roundness
250-800Hz ~ Muddiness Area
5-8kHz ~ Adds high end prescence
8-12kHz ~ Adds Hiss

read the more at:
http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread/threadid/29861

Smile Martin
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour