MadTracker.org
Forum - People from Great Britain: help me out!
 Forum
General discussion
 People from Great Britain: help me out!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2006 10:04    
People from Great Britain: help me out!

Similar to last year, I'm considering to go interrailing during my summer holiday. This year, I want to go to the United Kingdom and Ireland. I love what I saw concerning its landscapes, historical luggage, amazing buildings and interesting regions. If things go well, then I'm going there around 1 August. I'll probably stay approximately 10 to 14 days, since there's also a job and a house to find in the Netherlands.

For this small quest, I'm looking for help and advice from people in the United Kingdom and Ireland

Help:
Last year, I visited Souleye, Sunbuster, Pyrozane and Binarpilot, with who I walked around their area, who's beds I used and who's company I enjoyed for one or more days. This turned out to be very nice experiences, so I would like to do something similar in the United Kingdom and Ireland. If you are from one of those countries and have some sleeping space and time to share, then don't hesitate to contact me via this forum or by e-mail! You can check out last year's travel journal to get an idea of what can be expected. All offers are appreciated!

Advice:
Whether you're living there or not and planning to meet up with me or not, useful information is always welcome, such as:

-what regions do you reckon interesting to visit?
-what is there to know about the public transport, especially trains? Do they leave and arrive on time?
-what can I read in advance to catch up with the most important historical facts?
-what else do you think important for me to know?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your input!
Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2006 12:49    

I dont live in the UK, but I once had a vacation in Cornwall and went hiking on the clifs by the sea. I would recommend that! You can walk from small BnB`s and it wont cost too much.

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
robedwards99
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23 2006 16:23    

Sorry I can't help you with your requests.

Advice:

What do you like?? Cities?? Countryside?? Nightclubs?? Pubs??
View user's journal Send private message
bigandymac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25 2006 09:21    

i live in england, thats in the uk.
i live in a place called skipton about 20 miles north of leeds in the yorkshire dales. as far as being a cool place to live, it isnt, as far as a place to visit it is. its all hills and castles and quaint country pubs, and farmers.
i would think you will be more than welcome to stay here if you wanted, although i would have to confirm that with my mum (wow, im so cool, 24 and still living with my mum) and also that i will be here (email me closer to the time).

as for places to visit, if you want nightlife, london, leeds, manchester, sheffield and liverpool are all superb for clubbing (liverpool won the "city of culture" award last year) and nightlife. if you want decent scenery to look at then the lake district is great, but scotland wins hands down, particularly the west coast.
dont fall into the trap that many visitors do and get stuck in london (when i travelled last year i met people who thought the uk was completely made up of one giant city called london, yup you guessed it, they were american), travelling north is your best bet (i am from scotland so i would say that).

hope thats some help pal

andy
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04 2006 20:01    

Hurray to the world: I found an utterly nice, well located, very promising apartment in Rotterdam. It's near the center, near a forest, near the highway, near public transport and in one of the most intriguing areas of this wonderful city. The next weeks will therefore only consist of completely rebuilding its interior from scratch. I'll therefore refrain from visiting Britain at this moment, although I'm definitely planning to do so later this year.

All helpful souls: thanks for the advice and offers here and via e-mail. Andy & Goose: check your e-mail Smile

Inge (utterly happy with the house; it's nearly impossible to get what I got, especially for this price, so I feel like a blessed person)

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour