Feedback please!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 2003 20:43    
Feedback please!

Ok, people..
This is a little preview for all of you who haven't heard any music from me in a long time (or ever). Those of you who have heard my old music will surely be surprised.

It's my first attempt to make chillout/triphop (or whatever you would call this, I don't know).

Download here

I will try to add more jazzed-up elements in the final version, but please give me some feedback and/or general comments on this one.

Thanks in advance!

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.myspace.com/sonitusswe
www.vibraonline.com
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 2003 22:11    

writing as I listen, my first impression is that I like it very much. I'm not too sure about the rhodes(?) you use in the beginning of the tune, actually playing throughout most of the song. At first I thought they somehow didn't fit, but later on the sunk right in, so I guess they're good anyway. I would hovever maybe have used something that sounded a bit brighter, they sound as if they're played in the end of a tunnel, minus the reverb. The ending is pretty odd, too abrupt IMO. I'd tone it down a bit and then maybe cut it like you did now. But the way it ends now, I'm left wondering if I have a complete or broken file at my hands. "Should there have been more, or was that all?" is what I ask myself.

Overall, I like the tune. Fit's right in on a chilled tracklist, has a sort of dark feeling. Like the beat, drives the tune one nicely. You've got good sence for details that add variation too. Nice work overall, be sure to send me the link once the complete version is available Wink
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 00:28    

My Goodness Myztique! Amazingly beautiful song! The thin pad that is weaven through the rhodes and the main melody is just plain great. In contrast to Sunbuster, I liked this song from the very beginning. I'm looking forward very much to a final version of this, or even a complete album, because this makes me think both of Plaid as of Saine Smile Consider listening Plaid's 'restproof clockwork' or Bonobo's 'animal magic' for some very nice examples of rather similar music. This is just very good to listen to. *shivers*.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 10:25    

Sunbuster wrote:
writing as I listen, my first impression is that I like it very much. I'm not too sure about the rhodes(?) you use in the beginning of the tune, actually playing throughout most of the song. At first I thought they somehow didn't fit, but later on the sunk right in, so I guess they're good anyway. I would hovever maybe have used something that sounded a bit brighter, they sound as if they're played in the end of a tunnel, minus the reverb. The ending is pretty odd, too abrupt IMO. I'd tone it down a bit and then maybe cut it like you did now. But the way it ends now, I'm left wondering if I have a complete or broken file at my hands. "Should there have been more, or was that all?" is what I ask myself.

I accually agree a bit with you about the rhodes. But these where the best samples I could find for the moment. If you know some place to find better ones, please let me know. If not, I will just try to do some equalizing on these ones to fit in better.

If you read carefully, you'll see that this is only a preview and I will probably keep on working on this piece for a couple of more minutes or so. But thanks for the feedback both Sunbuster and Inge!

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.vibraonline.com
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 10:47    

Myztique: contact Saine for info on rhodes. I have never heard a song of him without them Smile

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 13:14    

Sorry, don't have any good rhodes samples myself. But like Inge said, Saine might be a good person to contact about rhodes. Wink
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 15:47    

I dunno what rhodes are but I like all those echoed effy-thingies, first introduced at 0:09.
Very nice indeed.

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 17:45    

Hi,

I think you should completeley remove the rhodes.
Compared with the professional beats and effects it sounds a bit "cheap" to me.
Or Maybe you could replace the sample with one from Propellerheadīs Reason (the program comes with an multisample for rhodes MKI and II).

Servus, Tom

against software piracy...
View user's journal Send private message
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 19:56    

Tom wrote:
Hi,

I think you should completeley remove the rhodes.
Compared with the professional beats and effects it sounds a bit "cheap" to me.
Or Maybe you could replace the sample with one from Propellerheadīs Reason (the program comes with an multisample for rhodes MKI and II).

Servus, Tom

Funny story... the rhodes I used in this one is accually the RhodesMKII, which I bounced from the Reason Soundbank. I applied some tremolo and vibrato to it and tried to make it sound as jazzy as possible, but it just won't do. Well, I've contacted Saine about it now and got a few tips, so I guess I have some work in front of me now. Have to keep looking for jazz-elements Smile

Thanks for the feedback though.

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.vibraonline.com
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 21:42    

yeah, itīs really difficult to play the rhodes.

against software piracy...
View user's journal Send private message
CHICAGOĪlollie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2003 02:01    

You know what kind of rhodes would sound great? That one that's playing in Music Gets The Best Of Me by Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

I don't know what kind of rhodes it is, but it's kind of like a bell rhodes or something.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Vile
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2003 16:57    

Well, it's very good for me, but I totally dunno what chillout is

BTW When the tune is finished, remember to gimme the source file, I'll make a heavy version if you want Smile

-------------------------------------
LaRD iN CHoCoLaTE iS THe SouRCe
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2003 17:21    

Vile wrote:
Well, it's very good for me, but I totally dunno what chillout is

Place a cold beer in your hand, sit down in a comfortable chair/sofa, put on some downtempo track and just relax and enjoy the music... that's chillout Very Happy

Vile wrote:
BTW When the tune is finished, remember to gimme the source file, I'll make a heavy version if you want Smile

Hehe, as long as I'm on this crappy modem the source-file stays where it is Rolling Eyes
And even if I wasn't, I'd probably not share it anyway, since this is going on me and TOffe's upcoming trip-hop album...

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.vibraonline.com
Vile
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2003 18:10    

Adding a HEAVY VERSION as a bonustrack would give ya more money, I think Smile

The source file is big? Well, then send me just notes(w/o samples) by email, I'll inform ya when it's finished and nuts! Smile

Anyway, why do you keep denying? Smile

-------------------------------------
LaRD iN CHoCoLaTE iS THe SouRCe
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09 2003 18:35    

Vile wrote:
Adding a HEAVY VERSION as a bonustrack would give ya more money, I think Smile

The source file is big? Well, then send me just notes(w/o samples) by email, I'll inform ya when it's finished and nuts! Smile

Anyway, why do you keep denying? Smile

What kind of HEAVY are u talking about?

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.vibraonline.com
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next