MadTracker.org
Forum - Samplepack and stuff
 Forum
General discussion
 Samplepack and stuff
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Would Ogg Vorbis compression be suitable for hefty samples?
Most likely!
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Maybe...
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
NO
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 16

Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08 2007 04:32    
Samplepack and stuff

You may not know that I asked Yannick if I could update the samplepack and create some VSTs for the next update. This is what I plan to do:

SAMPLEPACK

>Convert most samples to .ogg if the sample quality does not reduce to save space and convert stereo samples to mono if both sides are identical
>Add some more samples and some loops for newbs (mentioning that, I am going to put tutorials in the help file too, such as beatslicing, how to use Drumatic etc...)

VST

>Make some low CPU usage effects for more variety (they're performance orientated, not graphics orientated).

Feel free to have your say on this. I will provide links when I compile a test pack.

Alex

http://daprometheus3.googlepages.com/
New line of synthesizers announced! I'll keep you informed!
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Psalm 97

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09 2007 13:48    

Lossy is EVIL!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mono I can see if both channels are the same, but lossy formats are only fit for sending a song over the internet or loading a copy of my music collection to my digital player.

I do look forward to the other stuff though, especially the performance oriented VSTs. I have a test dummy computer I can beta-test on.

Only what is done for Christ will last.
View user's journal Send private message
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10 2007 04:09    

Quote:
Lossy is EVIL!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mono I can see if both channels are the same, but lossy formats are only fit for sending a song over the internet or loading a copy of my music collection to my digital player.

I do look forward to the other stuff though, especially the performance oriented VSTs. I have a test dummy computer I can beta-test on.

That's why I voted "maybe" for Ogg Vorbis compression. I would only do it on samples that remain unaffected to reduce the sample size...
As for the VSTs... visit http://daprometheus3.googlepages.com/vagabondvsti . That's the first released one, and the hyped up and faster version will be featured. I have almost finished a TB-303 emulator (Yes, with a 3 Pole filter) and a drum sampler/synthesiser similar to the Akai MPC, as well as some rather simple FX to add to the track effects.
Thanks for your comment however Very Happy
Alex

P.S. Like your Avatar Razz

-EDIT- Also look at http://daprometheus3.googlepages.com/prs3ppb-lpf (This is the filter I am going to use in my upcoming Hedroma synth and make a standalone too), http://daprometheus3.googlepages.com/tricectahedronvsti (Just released FM synth, upgrading it at the moment) and more to come!

Psalm 97

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10 2007 16:05    

Reducing size I can see, but why not use a lossless compression instead? FLAC works well, the filesize is at most half the wav size, there is ZERO quality loss and dBpowerAMP Music Converter converts it back to wav for free. Just be sure you put a note in that the files are FLAC and will need to be decompressed to wav.

Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11 2007 04:23    

Hrmmz... I didn't think of that... but I do not think anyone will download an extra prog to decompress... (unless you have Renoise, that can read Flac)
Actually, I would like Flac support...

Psalm 97

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2007 14:41    

Greedy Razz

What's so hard about downloading a program to decompress it? dBpowerAMP is free, pretty small, fast, and any music nut should already have it anyway for converting from one format to another. Best freeware for the task I've found yet.

Ravana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 2007 12:58    

Hmm, if memory serves me right, there is a version with and without the samples for download. I don't think it's a good idea to provide samples in a way it requires actions on the user to actually get them to use. People download software for testing and the easier it is to get the whole package going the better.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/thejollynekromanseri.51046.php

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/bewaretheconstruct.62202.php

MT source files available if requested (maybe)
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Frazze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 2007 13:17    

Agreed.

I think the samplepack should contain a few simpler samples also; most of those in it now are not very verstile. Plus, many of them are strange and difficult to use in a productive way. I can't really word it.

http://www.last.fm/music/8ism
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15 2007 19:48    

Ravana wrote:
Hmm, if memory serves me right, there is a version with and without the samples for download. I don't think it's a good idea to provide samples in a way it requires actions on the user to actually get them to use. People download software for testing and the easier it is to get the whole package going the better.

Agree 100%. The idea of the sample pack that is bundled w. MadTracker is to give the downloaders an easy start at the program. But other than that you're right, the sample pack is a bit outdate, not very versatile and it should be renewed.
binärpilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20 2007 10:02    

I love the samplepack. Really, I've used it so many times I can't even remember. I'll buy whoever got it implemented a beer. Tiny? Sure. Some odd choices? Definitely. But great for sketching? You bet. Sometimes I don't even bother mounting the external disc and just sketch away using only the pack. And that's the point right? As it stands I think it more than serves it's purpose and doesn't need to change at all. There's ample resources available for both samples and VST's on the internet. I vote to keep it as it stands. Starting with trackers is confusing enough as it is, let's not over-complicate it for new users by adding too much. The samplepack is not intended for (semi-)pro users. At least that's not how I see it.

Fucking awesome music for ninjas in space and shit
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20 2007 11:12    

binärpilot wrote:
I'll buy whoever got it implemented a beer

There's a snare in there that came from me, you used it in Goof... Can I get a sip of your beer? Wink

Prometheus, I love the fact that you're enthusiastic about MT, but I also think the sample pack should remain easy to use. Update: yes. Compress samples: no.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21 2007 19:11    

Walter Vos wrote:
binärpilot wrote:
I'll buy whoever got it implemented a beer

There's a snare in there that came from me, you used it in Goof... Can I get a sip of your beer? Wink

My server space worked as the upload host for the stuff the rest of the community put together, and I made the initial draft pack, so maybe mee to can get a sip Wink
G3ronimo
Hot & Sexeh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21 2007 22:47    

Im just fucking hot, Ill get a sip aswell

btw great to be back Very Happy

www.soundsector.net
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Mastema

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11 2007 04:58    

who uses .ogg in madtracker anyway?
it's all .wav format right?
you'd have to convert the ogg to wav. not like it would take that long to do on adobe edition
but it's just a step that doesn't need to happen.
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15 2007 07:51    

Sorry for not responding in a while guys... my education has been interfering with what I've been up to...
I haven't found many new things worthy of sampling, and most of the existing ones suck even when compressed at 112kb/s. And those VSTs keep on clocking too much CPU (I wonder what's wrong...).
I am still looking though.
Alex

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour