MadTracker.org
Forum - *panicking* uhh, need serious help with norton ghost!
 Forum
General discussion
 *panicking* uhh, need serious help with norton ghost!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
mikx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2003 15:09    
*panicking* uhh, need serious help with norton ghost!

well.. i just cloned my C: over my D: .. my D: had all my music and stuff on there, and i haven't backed up since last year sometime..

is there a way to unclone it?

Confused
mikx

(im really pissed off and sad!)
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2003 17:45    

Ouch.

I'm not sure if there's much you can do. There's no way to "unclone" it, you should try some restoring program on D: but the data has been erased and then overwritten so I'm not sure if it will help much.

Sunbuster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2003 19:46    

Try Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional edition, it did wonders when my hard-drive crashed a couple of years ago Smile There might be other proggies that do the same thing better, but I only know of this one and I know it worked. Of course, in my case there was no issue about the information being formatted away, it was simply a matter of the master boot record being damaged so... But I think it could work, because if I remember correctly even a re-format of a harddrive doesn't actually erase any information. It only makes the OS beileve there is no information on that HDD by removing all reference to the files. A recovery program could still access this I think... Confused
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2003 20:03    

FBI has these wicked tools to recover the most weird information from (for instance) hdd's that laid for longer periods of time under water or that were torn a pieces. For consumers there are also tools to go back to atleast seven low level formats ( Shocked ), but I can't give names of specific programs. A search on 'hard disk recovery' on google might give a lead though.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2003 22:20    

You may try this link:

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

It recovers deleted partitions... I donīt know if it helps when you have overwrote your partition/harddisk.

Tom

against software piracy...
View user's journal Send private message
D Vibe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2003 22:34    

The problem is that if data is overwritten it's no way to recover them. If you've formatted every sector of a harddrive you can't find anything either. But if you quick format a drive, you can restore the data as it'll only tell the harddrive to overwrite all sectors as they would be empty, even though they're not empty. Same goes with deleted files..

So I think it's screwed, sorry Sad .. But you could always give it a try, ofcourse.

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
CHICAGOĪlollie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2003 09:24    

Wow, damn man, that's one f###load of a problem!

How large is your D:, how much Megs/Gigs worth of stuff did you loose, and how much Megs/Gigs has overwritten your stuff?

If you've got a large drive, there still may be hope for you yet!

...providing it WAS only a quick format, otherwise, like everyone else has already said, it's pretty much screwed Sad
mikx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2003 11:09    

its a weird kind of problem, as my c: drive at the time of cloning was perfectly defragmented, while d: was pretty much everywhere, so there is a chance that some data is still written on the hard disk, just a matter of the master boot record not showing it..

i quickformatted last night though, but still i will try and get back whatever i can.

c: was about 2gb used up and d: is a 25gb drive .. so THERES A CHANCE!!! fark man i certainly hope so anyway.. i lost about 1 gigabyte of mods, mt2's, samples and instruments..

i will try ALL of the programs you guys have listed here.. and if it won't help, whats the number for FBI? Wink

anyway, there may be some lab here in Australia where hard disk recovery is their specialty. for police im sure! but i'd pay big bucks to get all my stuff back anyway...

*sigh* one can only hope Smile

thanks for your help though guys, you've given me a glitter of hope when i thought i had lost everything..

Cool
mikx
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2003 11:16    

oh, if your even planning to spend money on it, than it shouldn't be such a problem.

http://www.ibas.com/recovery/data-recovery-services.htm

I'm not recommending this company (I won't recommend one, since I'm not familiar with them), but you might look around, see what's possible, or contact them to ask what the possibilities are concerning retrieving your data.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
mikx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09 2003 17:27    

thanks dude. i've somewhat solved the problem myself. i downloaded EasyRecovery Pro, as sunbuster suggested, and managed to recover most of my mt2's, though i managed to lose all of my mastered work. (so thomas, if you're out there and still have that Infusion remix- email it to me please? mikx@madtracker.net) ..

the rest of the data - most of my mixes and other mp3s - was overwritten by the clone image.

i think it would have done a better job if the program hadn't slowed down at about 70% of the file search. it got to the point where i left it on overnight and it still didn't budge, scanning only about 150 clusters every couple of seconds... so i cancelled the rest of the search and recovered whatever i could from what i had.

ahh, if it wasn't for stupidity *smacks his forehead*

Cool
mikx
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour