Help and support
 Need MIDI Config Help
Reply to topic Post new topic  
technoid
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2003 10:14    
Need MIDI Config Help

Hey all,

I'm [somewhat] new around here, just haven't posted. I've been listening to tracker & demoscene music since the late 1980's starting with my C64 and am excited to try out MT.

I have a MIDI-Out-only piano keyboard attached to my PC. The soundcard is an "old" XGMIDI-superset Yamaha Waveforce192XG (1998?) and is hooked up via its DirectSound API. Right now the PC is a Super7 with an oc'd AMD K6-III+ at 600MHz and 512MB SDR100 memory.

For my computer setup, what does anyone think would be the best and optimized configuration with the MIDI inside MT2, i.e. number of buffers and buffersize (and other configs I don't know about)? Do I really need Keyjazz enabled or is that only with the PC keyboard? I would like to be able to input notes realtime on the MIDI keyboard without really sacrificing quality of any wave sample.

Speaking of wav's, what is the maximum resolution (bits per second) and size that I can use?

Also, will MT3 be able to export to MIDI format in some manner?

Thanks for any [musical] input!

~techie
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2003 17:01    

afaik it doesn't harm to use the keyjazz feature when using a midi keyboard. I don't think it takes up much memory if that's your concern. So my suggestion is using it if you want, or don't use it.
As for how to set up buffers and so on, I think it's just a matter of trying settings out until your satisfied. Try with low settings first, but if you get cracks and pops, then try something higher. About the number of buffers, I don't know, I always use the max that my soundcard allows (which is 16). Instead I can use smaller buffersize (at 20 on my machine) which again gives me better presition in the oscilloscopes and the pattern window when playing a song.

I think the max resolution of wav samples you can import is 44.1 kHz/16bit, but I could be mistaking. I haven't tried samples with better quality so... But when exporting you can go all the way to 96kHz/24bit (that is, if you've registered Wink )
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
technoid
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2003 23:56    

Oh wow, 96kHz @ 24bit sampling. I've been pondering about paying/registering, once I figure most of MT2 out first. Smile

Thx for the buffers tip. I shall raise # of buffers to 16 (was at 4), as well as move buffersize to ~20 (was at 60 and keying was slow on my midi kybd), when I get home. I may have to move the synth setup to my 1.0GHz P3 if it still has too much keying latency though.

~techie
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2003 19:02    

I might be wrong here, but in the case of MT I think the midi keying latency might be more depending on your soundcard than on the CPU speed. After all, a midi signal is so simple it shouldn't cause any problems to a modern CPU. But of course, the faster your CPU, the more realtime FX you'll be able to run without having to increase your buffers Smile

oh yeah, btw. mt3 should have full midi-support. I guess that means some sort of export will also be available. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to get released Wink don't get me wrong, I'm confident it will get released. But when, that's another matter Wink
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2003 19:47    

Sunbuster wrote:
I might be wrong here, but in the case of MT I think the midi keying latency might be more depending on your soundcard than on the CPU speed. After all, a midi signal is so simple it shouldn't cause any problems to a modern CPU. But of course, the faster your CPU, the more realtime FX you'll be able to run without having to increase your buffers Smile

oh yeah, btw. mt3 should have full midi-support. I guess that means some sort of export will also be available. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to get released Wink don't get me wrong, I'm confident it will get released. But when, that's another matter Wink

No, you are right Sunbuster. MIDI key latency DOES have more to do with the soundcard than the CPU (And Technoid, if you have asblive or audigy, I suggest using the kx project drivers too). I've done some testing on these drivers myself.
I don't believe CPU speed has much to do with the keying latency.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"

Last edited by Jesse Moore on Fri Nov 07 2003 23:53; edited 1 time in total
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Blaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2003 22:55    

Maybe not ontopic, but is there any significant difference in the Creative Asio drivers and de KX ones?

united trackers
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2003 23:51    

Blaster wrote:
Maybe not ontopic, but is there any significant difference in the Creative Asio drivers and de KX ones?

well, I don't use ASIO, so I wouldn't know personally. But if ya check kx projects website (http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/intro.php) I'm sure you will find that information there.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
technoid
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08 2003 14:52    

UPDATE:

I think I've optimized my MIDI setup with MT2, or damn close. The biggest factor I noticed in reducing keying latency is choosing the best device driver, as was mentioned. In my case I chose a Directsound device, instead of some generic sound mapper.

And I also checkmarked all the other factors that I think I need, i.e. Callback, Min.delay, Acc.device and kept Freq to 44k to be safe.

I don't have SB, so I don't think those KX drivers will help me. Like I said, I have a Yamaha XG soundcard. It would be nice as hell if I had a Yamaha SWG1000 card instead. Wooo, but I must keep dreaming.

BTW, is there a way to map the pitchbender and modulation wheels? I would like to get my cake and eat it too.

~techie
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour