Forum
Help and support
 Two simple (well...not for me) questions
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Rekartdam
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 2007 01:53    
Two simple (well...not for me) questions

I've just started using MadTracker 2 and I've figured out the basics. But there are two things that I cant find an answer to, I've searched, tried the chat, looked in guides et cetera. Maybe I just missed it, but anyways:

Question 1:

How the hell do it make some sounds (sine, square, triangle) stop looping? I tried buildig chords, and I wanted them to be really staccato, but they just countinue to sound til the next chord...sound bad.

Question 2:

Sometimes I can use the synth in the program to "write" down the notes (instead of using the keyboard). But sometimes it doesent work, like today. Sometimes I want to use the keyboard, how do I do this? When I press on keyboardbuttons it makes a sound, but when I press on the synth in the program its quiet. Really annoying.

Question

Thanks Wink
View user's journal Send private message
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 2007 07:58    

Have you tried a tutorial yet? Try the quick start guide, it will probably answer your questions, and it will answer some question you didn't know you had yet Wink

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 2007 09:51    

use Caps Lock to end note. Rolling Eyes

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Frazze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 2007 16:21    

2: the record button should be on.

http://www.last.fm/music/8ism
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rekartdam
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 2007 17:17    

Thanks for the responses!
The caps lock, alright. It worked! Very Happy

The record button is on, so....I wonder why I doesent work. It sucks because I cant play any low bass notes on the keyboard, therefore all basslines I make is really...un-bassy. Crying or Very sad
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 2007 17:29    
Re: Two simple (well...not for me) questions

welcome to MIDI then! I use midi controller. Actually I have __only__ percussions as samples and the rest of it are hardware synthesizers here.

for question 1 it already said: record button should be on, go to the track and also press caps lock. This "minus" sign is actually the "note stop" message. well, you can also experiment with instrument envelope or volume column command for custom fadeout etc. But do not be afraid. The basics will be learnt in first 2 weeks, but the best part is that its very lightspeed creating process with this program (atleast for simpler songs).

Rekartdam wrote:

Question 2:

Sometimes I can use the synth in the program to "write" down the notes (instead of using the keyboard). But sometimes it doesent work, like today. Sometimes I want to use the keyboard, how do I do this? When I press on keyboardbuttons it makes a sound, but when I press on the synth in the program its quiet. Really annoying.

in edit->configuration->midi
choose the midi controller you want to use. INPUT device.
record velocity is selfexplanatory.
record keynotes: well, that I need sometimes to switch on and off, by default,leave it on, when recording chords.

then just apply, save configuration.

so, how to record:
1* select the channels (with right mouse click (does someone knows another method from keyboard directly?)
2* press record and play (or right shift).

with faster speeds the quantizing is better. so far you need to adjust the notes also.

caveats: sometimes the "key release" will be sent to wrong channel.

what else needed and may be helpful when recording chords:

in edit->configuration->general box there must be 2 things flagged ON:
Keyjazz
Multichannel edit

it can save some thinking and frustration that WHY the program records only 1 track and why not the amazing 4..8 note chords. Smile
If these 2 flags arent on, it will be very unconvenient actually when recording from midi controller.

But from keyboard when entering notes, it will be better if this multichannel edit and keyjazz flag is off, then the note goes directly to this channel where you are positioned and not the another "recording flagged" channel if you have more than 1 channel flagged as to record.

good luck and please write how goes your track and do not hesitate to ask next questions. I'm happy to answer about MIDI and synths Very Happy
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour