Forum - Bending pitches
 Forum
Help and support
 Bending pitches
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Soldan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 2007 03:40    
Bending pitches

Firstly i want to say greetings to all you fellow musicians/composers out there that use madtraker. I think that traker scene type music is currently underapreciated in the world and some of you may well be the ones to change that.

Secondly I want to give props to Yannick for making such a versatile and easy to use program and also for making it shareware so that the masses can be introduced into electronic music composing.

I just registered madtraker about a week ago and I have been composing traks on it for the past 3 months. I have previously experimented with Reason and back in the day (way back in the day) I had Digitraker, although I never had the skill to use it properly. I also play metal guitar.

I have a few questions regarding how to acheive certain effects that involve a steady change in pitch.

The first effect I want to make is like a siren effect, I hear it all the time in techno/rave and also occasionaly other music as well.Is there an easy way to do this or is the only way by automating the pitch bend and such on the synthesizers?

The second effect is like when you do a slide on a guitar, similar to the siren effect I suppose.

The third effect is like a pitch bend on a guitar, where the note is near-instantly "bent" up anywhere from 1/4, to 3 steps. sometimes the note will be bent up and then back down and then up again etc in rapid succesion to make some pretty cool effects.
View user's journal Send private message
QBical

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 2007 13:58    

You can use the 3xx command, start a note and where you want the slide to begin enter the note you want to slide to, and put the 3xx command on that note. The higher value you put in at the xx spot the faster the slide will be. I guess that covers all your questions since they can be achieved with the 3xx command.

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
goose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 2007 13:58    

If you're using samples, then you can use portamento..

From the helpfile:

01 XXYY Portamento up

Slides the pitch up.

X
Speed (number of halftones per tick)

Y
Fine speed (Y/256 halftone)

02 XXYY Portamento down

Slides the pitch down.

X
Speed (number of halftones per tick)

Y
Fine speed (Y/256 halftone)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 2007 20:11    

Code:
C-4 01 -- -- -- ----
C-5 01 -- -- 03 0040
--- -- -- -- 03 ----
--- -- -- -- 03 ----
--- -- -- -- 03 ----
--- -- -- -- 03 ----
--- -- -- -- 03 ----

In the first row you've told the tracker to play C-4 with the instrument at position 01. In the second row you've told it to glide to C-5 with four halftones per tick. The third and following rows you're just telling the tracker to continue the effect. Because unless you're some math wiz you'll just have to "guess" where the effect will end (personally I just throw in a whole bunch of 3's and modify the speed later to make it fit).

Fucking awesome music for ninjas in space and shit
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour