Forum - music for msssage....
 Forum
Music talk
 music for msssage....
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09 2003 05:37    
music for msssage....

I was going to make some tunes for a relative to use in their massage business... Maybe some ambient/environmental/downtempo tunes. My one question at the moment is: What range should I use when setting the Beats per minute for something like this?

I may have more questions later, but this is the only one I have at the moment to ask.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09 2003 14:17    

http://saine.madtracker.net/

That should get you starting for laidback triphop tunes Smile It's hard to define an exact bpm, since atmospheric music is less bound to conventions than, for instance, drum 'n bass (170) or trance (145). It's not about rhythm, but it's about the whole picture.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09 2003 14:22    

I got a samplepack from E-lab with beatloops. they are divided into 100, 130, 170 BPM. The 100BPM has a hiphop, RnB feel to them. The 130 has a more dance, ambient feel to them, and the 170 BPM is more jungle, trance or whats it called...

My suggestion would be around 130 BPM and you may want to try setting LPB to 8 for more accuracy.

Smile Martin
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09 2003 17:01    

Ah, I could go for a massage right now..

Since 130 bpm is my favourite speed when I make progghouse I wouldn't recommend it for massage-music. The music should be totally relaxed and based on atmospheres and harmony rather than drums imo. So I would suggest a speed somewhere between 80 and 100 bpm.

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.myspace.com/sonitusswe
www.vibraonline.com
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09 2003 17:11    

MyztiQue wrote:
Ah, I could go for a massage right now..

Since 130 bpm is my favourite speed when I make progghouse I wouldn't recommend it for massage-music. The music should be totally relaxed and based on atmospheres and harmony rather than drums imo. So I would suggest a speed somewhere between 80 and 100 bpm.

Thank you, that will get me started.

Inge: I will take a listen to saine's stuff again to give me a better picture of what I am abut to do.

Martin: I'll try changing the LPB as you suggested once I do get started.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
goose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10 2003 11:20    
72 bpm

How about timing the breathing of someone who is receiving a relaxing massage? Then you'll know what the right tempo is.

OR use heart rate timing....

Apparently, the adult human heart pumps blood at a rate of 60 to 100 beats per minute. The average is 72 times per minute.

http://www.worldinvisible.com/apologet/humbody/heart.htm

So maybe this could be a good starting tempo? Idea

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10 2003 19:43    

Try checking through some aerobics CD's, they always have some relaxation parts in the end with calm music. Maybe those could give you an idea Wink As for BPM's, for total relaxation I'd say go for space music, ambiences etc. No actual beats. If you want a beat in there, don't do it with basic drums but instead use nature sounds like dripping water or heartbeats and so on.
QBical

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10 2003 20:08    
Re: 72 bpm

goose wrote:
How about timing the breathing of someone who is receiving a relaxing massage? Then you'll know what the right tempo is.

Speaking of breathing, and chill/cooldown music, does anyone have a sample of breathing, something like the sound enigma uses but then a bit slower...

BTW, if you want to here realy good chill out music, check out the 'highland trilogy' by dune, it's 3 tracks and just the best chill out music ever, it also features a breathing sound, but this time it's only the nose inhaling you hear.

anywayz, I hope someone can give me a lead on the samples!

grtz
Ray

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10 2003 20:55    

Considered doing it yourself. Your own voice is as rich as you make it yourself with tons of vst's and dx's. Even my own voice sounds okay enough when tweaked enough, and I surely don't have an impressive voice. Find a studio, do some breathing recordings, apply massive reverbs, delays and filters, and you should get quite an impressive sound for the purpose you have in mind.

Otherwise, attach your vcr to your computer and hire some cute hardcore pr0n movies Twisted Evil

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10 2003 21:20    

Inge wrote:
Find a studio, do some breathing recordings, apply massive reverbs, delays and filters, and you should get quite an impressive sound for the purpose you have in mind.

Or, if you'd rather save a little bit of time (and possibly cash), just grab a microphone, open up a sound editor, hit record, and breathe.

Inge wrote:
Otherwise, attach your vcr to your computer and hire some cute hardcore pr0n movies Twisted Evil

*gives inge a weird look*
Erm... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour