Forum - Gnejsi - Wrong turn
 Forum
Music talk
 Gnejsi - Wrong turn
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11 2003 13:50    
Gnejsi - Wrong turn

just to let you guys know I'm not completely dead when it comes to making music, I thought I'd put a demo online of what stuff I've needed to get out of my head during the past week. The tune is a more regular type trance, goes towards hard-trance with elements of psy-trance mixed in. So don't expect anything that will put you to sleep at night Wink

enjoy:
http://www.gnejsi.net/music/gnejsi_wrong_turn_demo11112003.ogg

and as usual, spill your hearts out on what you think of it. But remember, it's a demo, so even I know there's still stuff that needs to be done on it, I just want some second opinions on what I've got so far Smile

oh yeah, btw. this could be called the extended version Wink
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Factor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12 2003 00:08    

What is an ogg file sunbuster? Can't open it, but can download it.

Factor
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12 2003 00:57    

Ogg is a fileformat just as mp3 or wav. It's a compression tool that *is said to be* better than mp3 (both size as audio quality). Furthermore it's open source, and thus it rocks Smile

The latest version of winamp (2.91, rocksteady, superfast, etc etc, you recognise an addict once he starts speaking) has native ogg support. Download it at http://classic.winamp.com/download/.
Windows Media Player, ofcourse, has not. That is, ofcourse, because it is the worst coded program ever (well, okay, winamp 3 is also a bitch, but that's atleast not a gui twice the size of your 21" crt). Windows Media Player 9, Windows Millenium and Office Frontpage still battle furiously concerning which one is the least intuitive, fast and functional.

Word,
Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Factor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12 2003 03:49    

aha, thanx inge your right Smile

I checked it out with winamp and it worked great, but what are the big diffs then? mp3 or ogg? is it the file size? (Depends on quality on mp3, how does it work with ogg?) and is it gonna be comapatible like mp3?

And about the song, I have to study it more before I could give some feedback, in the 3 min I checked the song I only could say, love the atmosphere in the beginning, realy got potentential in a lot of diferent ways Cool I will check it out later Wink

Factor
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12 2003 09:47    

Inge wrote:
Ogg is a fileformat just as mp3 or wav. It's a compression tool that *is said to be* better than mp3 (both size as audio quality). Furthermore it's open source, and thus it rocks Smile

It is better. Razz The only fact that it's open source and patent-free makes it sound much better already... It might be psychological though. But aren't these compression methods about psycho-acoustics? Mr. Green
Seriously, it's really better.

Inge wrote:
Windows Media Player 9, Windows Millenium and Office Frontpage still battle furiously concerning which one is the least intuitive, fast and functional.

You forgot Windows XP in your enumeration... Laughing

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12 2003 10:49    

Factor wrote:
What is an ogg file sunbuster? Can't open it, but can download it.

Factor

http://www.vorbis.com/ <- for some more info on ogg Wink

I for one am going to move over to ogg completely eventually, especially since winamp 2.91 supports it natively (but what about winamp3, anyone?). There is a clear difference actually. I tested the tune I uploaded now, encoded it in both mp3 and ogg @ 64kbps, and the ogg has a much clearer sound at these low bitrates. The mp3 is clearly muffled and radiolike already, but the ogg still has semi-clarity (both are clearly worse than playing the original wav though, naturally)
Big Mo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12 2003 23:56    

My experience with oggs is that they get a little bigger, but as they are far less lossey than mp3, quality will be much better.
I will not move over to ogg, main reason is because many people don't know how to play it. If I share my friends an ogg file, they all shout "do you have a mp3 too?", because very many people, mostly the computer ignorant, use media player to play music.
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13 2003 10:39    

To return to the topic: this is one sweet piece of music! I love the combination of the slowly growing synths and the dynamic bassline. This is pure excitement to listen to. Again a typical Sunbuster release, but this time with a more agressive blend to it.

Sunbuster: check out this song:
Paul Glazby vs The narcomaniacs - Acid disco (dave the drummer remix) (to be found on soulseek really easily)

This song is way more agressive than your song is, but I would find it very nice if you would make the distance between the 'sweet' strings and the 'harsh' bassline bigger, and thus creating a rather unique sound. Check out the massively fierce acid techno that the song stated above delivers, and think about it...it might be worth trying, although it might not be your first cup of tea to transform your song in a more agressive tune.

Eitherway, great song!

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
D Vibe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13 2003 11:06    

Fantastic song!

https://www.dvibe.se
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13 2003 11:13    

Thank's Inge, I'll check out your suggestion Smile
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13 2003 11:13    

c-frog wrote:
Fantastic song!

Thank's mate Smile
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13 2003 11:31    

I keep on forgetting to make a post regarding this tune, so I'll do it now while I still remember Rolling Eyes

As everyone else has said, it's a great song, good work.
Inge is right, try some more agressiveness. Suppose you're gonna try it anyway though Wink

At the moment, it reminds me of a game tune I remember hearing on a PlayStation game.
In this case, it's a good thing. The psx game had a great selection of tunes, and if it wasn't being played on the psx, it was being listened to on a cd player Smile
Right, enough of the psx game, I must remember that this is a music forum Rolling Eyes

Personally, I think the breakdown to the string section is a little bit too long, but the strings are great nevertheless. Actually, it'd be good to hear the string section on its own for about 2 or 4 patterns before it goes back into the beat. Stretch it out a little bit.

Other than that, no suggestions Wink
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour