Help and support
 Mastering with Ozone
Reply to topic Post new topic  
DJ Tiago
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 2008 15:05    
Mastering with Ozone

Hey,

I have a simple question regarding the use of Ozone for mastering. Should I apply ozone to just the master channel and attempt to master from there? Or should I put ozone on each channel and EQ and then put ozone on the master and master?

Thanks

Joao
View user's journal Send private message
oldbrian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 2008 19:00    
Re: Mastering with Ozone

DJ Tiago wrote:
Hey,

I have a simple question regarding the use of Ozone for mastering. Should I apply ozone to just the master channel and attempt to master from there? Or should I put ozone on each channel and EQ and then put ozone on the master and master?

Thanks

Joao

it depends on what you want - i usually assign eqs to groups (like hihats/cymbals, drums, strings, vocals etc.) because that`s how they can be used to what i want: to give space for certain instruments in certain freq regions by supressing some others there (for example killing of the mids of cymbals to make the center of the song less muddy and so on). also, i wouldn`t put them to this type of use in mt, because it`s overkill - you`re better off to do this after you rendered your song into some wavs.

however, if you want to use ozone as a limiter then it has to go to the master channel. or if you want to bring a bit of overall brightness to your song by boosting some highs.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
DJ Tiago
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 2008 01:53    
Re: Mastering with Ozone

I just want to make one track in my life that sounds professional. I hate this.

Ozone has a mastering tutorial online and they talk about eqing elements of a track. Now Ozone has a Paragraphic EQ built in as well as numerous other functions. I'm just wondering if I should EQ every track with Ozone and then use Ozone on the master channel. Is that going to be too CPU intensive?

Can you elaborate Brian on your method?
View user's journal Send private message
oldbrian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 2008 14:52    

composing, mixing and mastering are 3 different things so it's generally not a good idea to mix them too much - for example to introduce small mastering fuss (like eq) while you are supposed to be composing etc.

i apply eq-s to instrument groups, or as that ozone tut might refer to it "elements" - vocals, percussions (they can further divided for example into toms, hihats and cymbals), drums, strings and so on. i render these things into different wave files (which is a pain because mt is very uncomfortable when you want to insert a new track NOT in the end to keep things grouped so you end up having your instrument blocks broken into segments). i only apply eq and such to these wavs as fitting.

limiters on the other hand are handy to keep up a non-crackling high overal volume so they should go to the master channel (or applied to the final, merged wave file).

ozone's multiband effects can be taken advantage of, the exciter and co can be put on the master and you are still able to manipulate frequency groups - sometimes it's what you want.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour