Forum
Music talk
 [Trip-Hop / IDM] Deuteronomy
Reply to topic Post new topic  
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26 2009 23:57    
[Trip-Hop / IDM] Deuteronomy

Hey guys. <: Been a while!

I've been breaking out of my usual French House/Electro gig, and I've got a couple of new tracks here that I'd like to share with you guys.

3noneTwo - Deuteronomy

This one's my first real completed attempt at the Trip-Hop/IDM genre. The only way I can describe Deuteronomy is that it starts off smooth, gradually falling deeper into glitch, and eventually destruction.

It goes for about eight minutes, so admittedly you'll be listening for a while, but the goods will come with due time. <: Please listen through!

Second track is over here: [Trip-Hop / IDM] Clark - Totem Crackerjack (REMIX)

Last edited by CHICAGO¤lollie on Tue Sep 29 2009 07:06; edited 1 time in total
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28 2009 12:54    

The glitch and destruction parts are VERY entertaining!
Is this all done in Madtracker? I want the sources! I'm curious to how some effects were made etc... But alas, I fear some heavy VST usage..

What's that windows sound at 4.48? Razz
After that, the toy piano that comes in, very nice. This is where the song takes off imo. From here is why one should listen to the song. The preceding normality buildup I guess is "just" an, um, neccessary evil. Those crazyass breaks, clicks, timeslides and loop manipulations are making my head spin - in a good way!
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29 2009 06:58    
A post in which I type a lot of words yet again

Yeahhhh, I tried looking over the track to see what I could trim, but it felt as though the flow - slow as it is - would be ruined. I like to think that the second half makes it all worth it though. Helps me sleep at night! Smile

All the base instruments and drum-work were done in MadTracker, but I knew early on that I wanted to try bringing it into Ableton Live to complete. That said though: Due to all the instruments being VSTs, coupled with groups of EQ and Compression (and Reverb, and other things to make some of the instruments sound more 'natural'), MadTracker was struggling to keep up. ):

It would be REALLY COOL if MT could use more than 1GB of RAM!

SoulEye wrote:
What's that windows sound at 4.48? Razz

That's unintentional! Just a periodic piano hit: DingPiano.mp3

I did make myself a bunch of timestretched Casio Rapman II drums to use in MT. Drum programming is much more enjoyable in MT anyway. (: Though I might just be saying that because I had to cut up and rearrange the 'real' drums to match the Rapman: TortureDrums.mp3

SoulEye wrote:
I'm curious to how some effects were made etc... But alas, I fear some heavy VST usage..

Actually.. As far as effects go:

The stutter effect was done by hand in Ableton, but I've experimented with automating dBlue Glitch and dBlue Stretch in the past, and both achieve some rather pleasant results.

Glitch has a few settings to make effects easier, but can be REALLY unstable with automation (tip: SAVE before experimenting with Glitch). Stretch isn't anywhere near as pretty, but has a lot less to worry about, and doesn't crash anywhere near as much.

The sliding sounds in the toy piano section are an Ableton-native effect called "Frequency Shifter", which also doubles as a ring effect. I've tried to find a VST equivalent for MadTracker, but I can't find anything good! Or free!

The more intense glitch-work on the end stretch is powered solely by Reaper's ReaDelay. This one works GREAT in MadTracker, automation and all. Just turn the Dry all the way down, feedback up to -2db, and play with the delay length. <:

...unfortunately for me, I was in Ableton when I discovered the plug-in. ReaDelay doesn't work correctly in Ableton, so instead I exported the end section from Ableton, threw it back into MadTracker, and recorded the soundcard output directly into a sound editor while I played around with delay and feedback. Then I went through the recording takes one by one, picked out sounds I liked, and switched them in and out of the final mix.

...that's all I can think of, effects-wise!

SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29 2009 07:10    

Thanks for this. There's quite a bit of things to play with here! Smile

Hear, O Israel: the LORD is our God, the LORD is one!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour