Music talk
 On the right track?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
SlicerXXL
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 2003 22:43    
On the right track?

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I really like the idea that there are many, many more trackers in the world who take tracking seriously Smile.

Unfortunately, there is indeed a reviewing problem on this website. Hopefully I'll be able to do some reviews in future, but before I can do that I have to know what you guys like in a Madtracker song. For example: Is the use of lots of madtracker effects an important condition for a good song? How professional does a review need to be?

To write good reviews I think you have to be a top-notch music creator.. So, is there anyone who can look at one of my songs - tell me what's bad and what's good and if I am on the right track - so I can figure out what's the most important ingredient for a good MT2 song? I'll write a few reviews in return ( if I am able to, of course )

Thanks! (look at slicerxxl.tk for a list of my songs - currently in MP3 format, because of the use of large WAVE files - these WAVES I created with Cakewalk 9.0 and my own Midi keyboard - recorded the midi with Total Recorder (which is a great program - I'd recommend this to you all) (Everything was put together with Madtracker 2.3 - including the beats and some additional sounds & effects)

SlicerXXL.tk
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Blaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 2003 23:24    

IMHO a review points out your opinion of the good and bad things in a song.. You tell what's good and what's not as good and if you can, give some pointers to make it sound better..

Anyone can write a review, there's just a difference in types of reviews as some users have more technical knowledge than others.

There, that's it.

united trackers

Last edited by Blaster on Mon Dec 15 2003 16:21; edited 1 time in total
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 2003 23:53    

I'm currently working on a review guide that should be available somewhere in January (writing is done, but revising by others is still in progress). It should clear most issues concerning what to write and how to write.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
technoid
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 2003 02:37    

I will also try to do some reviews in my very spare time. Just remember though that everyone is unique and a reviewer will only give his point of view of the subject matter, i.e. his opinions based on his own interpretations of music he has experienced... well, unless the reviewed song really sucks ass. Razz

~techie
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
SlicerXXL
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 2003 10:26    

Great idea Inge a review guide Smile. I am looking forward to read it.

SlicerXXL.tk
mikx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 2003 15:56    

Quote:
IMHO a review points out your opinion of the good and bad things in a song.. You tell what's good and what's not as good and if you can give some pointers to make it sound better..

you're right blaster, and most people who like music (eg. trackers!) can write a review. it doesnt matter how good you are at tracking, all that matters is your opinion on the track you listening to, and what you could change about it to make it sound better - all according to your own ears and taste of course.. Smile

Cool
mikx (one of those late night talkative moments again..)
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 2003 21:25    

yeah, I'll only confirm what others have said. Anyone that has some opinions about music and posesses the skill of writing words into sentences can write a review. That's really all a review is, it's your opinions about a song.

BUT, bear in mind you have to justify your opinions. Especially when the target audience of your review often also includes the producer him/herself. By justifying I simply mean it's not enough to just say "this song sucked, the best part of the song was the end cause that's when the horror stopped" or on the other end of the spectrum "this song is great". You have to be able to tell why you think the song sucked or why you think the song was great cause that's what everyone, especially the producer, wants to know. Then it's another matter in how many words you're able to say these things. Some are able to convey their message in a couple of sentences, others (like me for instance) feel the need to write a bit longer about each point they make in order to be sure the right message is conveyed.
It's especially important to write a thorough review if the song is bad in your opinion, because then it's your mission to tell the producer in as much detail as practically possible what he/she needs to improve on. You don't need to be a great producer in order to do this, as long as you've got some basic knowledge of the genre you should be fine.
SlicerXXL
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 2003 21:50    

I've posted my very first review already of Snake Plissken - I ricordi del coure (remix). Of course I just gave my (not-very) professional opinion, but I took some time to write it. How long does it take till a review is online more or less?

SlicerXXL.tk
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 2003 21:57    

I'll check it right away Wink
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 2003 22:07    

It's online Smile One thing about your review though. I'd try to be a bit more specific on which sounds work and which don't. You say "some of the sounds fit together very well, but other combinations seem a bit at random to me". Try to be a bit more specific about which sounds you mean, where do they sound random, where do they sound good and so on. Other than that I don't have any complaints. Just remember, reviewing is an art form that needs practice also, so the more you do it, the better you become at picking the songs into pieces Wink

I agree with you on the rating of the track also btw.
SlicerXXL
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 2003 12:28    

Oh sorry Smile. I posted a new review already before reading the stuff above. I'll keep it in mind when writing another review. Thanks for putting it online and I am glad you agree a bit with me on the song Smile.

SlicerXXL.tk
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 2003 12:31    

Review guide will probably be placed online this week by Yannick. It's not a gospel, just a document that might give some leads, hints and tips by the old grumphy men Sunbuster, Yannick and me Smile

Inge

SlicerXXL
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 2003 13:06    

Smile I'll use it like a bible Laughing. Can anyone of you listen to one of my songs if you have some spare time? I'd be grateful Smile. Since all of the opinions about music seem to be posted in this section (good or bad is enough for me Smile ).

http://home.planet.nl/~folke098/SlicerXXLMelodicHardcore.zip

Altough the song currently online is not one of my best songs - it is actually the smallest I have (most Madtracker songs of mine are larger then 40mb).

SlicerXXL.tk
mikx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 2003 17:01    

woohwowoowoohaaa!! veery interesting track dude! .. some kind of progressive hardcore? Razz

i love how it's just constantly interesting. i dunno maybe i am just a fan of this genre, but seriously i spend most of my time listening to house, so.. i think you should be proud that this track of yours just punched me in the face and said 'LISTEN BITCH! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT, ISNT IT!!??' and i just nodded my head throughout Wink ..

well, its clear that you have not been a tracker for long, but i think you should very much keep on making music.. it won't be long before you gain more skills to produce more sounds. what i hear, is that you definately have a creative mind when it comes to sound..

great chords, great synths, harsh beat.. and that dark, pounding beat on pos. 1A and 1B is awesome! a very deep and evil side to what already is a pretty dark track.. i can just imagine people on E jumping from excitement when this part came in at a rave party..

well done man! nice work for a beginner tracker, so to speak.

Cool
mikx

p.s. if you have other dark-ass tunes up your sleeve, send the links this way please!

EDIT: p.p.s - can i make a remix? or like.. a reproduction?
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 2003 18:34    

I'm rather certain that I've heard this tune before. Have you published it already on other sites?

To support Mikx: yes, you show potential. Your song is far from slick and pro-sounding, but it most certainly has something. I would be *very* much interested in a Mikx-alike remix, but maybe even more in a Sunbuster-version that finally is a bit rougher than his average tracks. You go Jens! Very Happy

Inge

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 5 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next