MadTracker.org
Forum - quadrophonic audio...? is it possible in MT?
 Forum
General discussion
 quadrophonic audio...? is it possible in MT?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 2004 21:52    

But who really listens music with surround speakers... i mean normal people Wink hehehh... well i would if i'd had surroundsystem. it would serve more people to use the "fake surround".[/quote]

But when you look in those music-shops you can see that dolby digital 5.1 is pretty "standard" even the chepaer receiver are delivered with this decoder.
I think itīs just a question of time that "stereo" is replaced by "surround". Letīs say 10 years or so...

Tom

against software piracy...
View user's journal Send private message
QBical

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 2004 23:42    

The idea of music in surround sound is just absurd...
I mean have you ever been to a band that played ehm around you!?
Sure you can use it for great FX's and maby give the whole track a spacious feel with a nice verb, but who will notice apart from us audiophiles?

No the whole trend is for people to convert there humble living room into movie theathers and for that medium surround sound is a godsend.
But then again it's nothing fancy, all the music is mixed left/right ( using front/rear together with no panning between them ) the dialog is all comming from the center speaker and the room fx's ( like a verb over a voice ), and other fx's are used rarely over the surround speakers.

Why they keep it that simple!?

Because when you mix in surround TO much you'll drive your audience crazy and they won't be focused on what matters the most...
The picture itself!

so I realy don't get it when people come to me saying :I've got this new 7.1 sound system installed...

Or that people install them in there cars and stuff...

Music should come from just 2 channels, and I think it'll be that way for a long couple of years to...

grtz
qb

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
zood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 08:06    

Tom wrote:

But when you look in those music-shops you can see that dolby digital 5.1 is pretty "standard" even the chepaer receiver are delivered with this decoder.
I think itīs just a question of time that "stereo" is replaced by "surround". Letīs say 10 years or so...

But how about portable audio? I would want to see those headphones, in know i have seen one already but those earplug headphones what would have surround sound Wink

And in what music shops you are going to, the ones that sells equipment to musicans or the reqular music shops that sells televisions too...?

I think that in music production the surround is not coming, there is some records that are in surround sound, that orbital record is one and it proably sounds pretty cool, but it doesn't make the music itself any better apart from that that you have four speakers...

What band is that that has musicans playin behind your back too tell me that?!?!

And if you go in a concert, it's only in stereo, there the surround wouldn't work... it would be cool idea but... i have been in a party where they had a speaker in a every corner of a big hall, that was aful, you'd have to be excatly at the center of the hall to enjoy it. if you were on the side the music from the distant speakers had so much delay it made the music completely insane. Even the dj was hard time mixin the beats allthough he had monitors but still it was the worst party ever.

Zood

- Keep it simple, if your music don't sound good it doesn't sound good in surround either
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 12:32    

Tipper - Surrounded.

Never heard the dvd version, but that one is in 5.1, and I'm really eager to hear it. I advice you to buy or download the cd version anyway (made it my album of the year 2003 (here to be found), and then decide if 5.1 could be an improvement. I certainly think so. Maximus Rotundus from four directions with a low growling subwoofer...

[/me shivers]

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 18:59    

mikx wrote:
orbital released a cool DVD called 'the altogether' with dolby digital 5.1 music - it was specially made into 5.1 surround. sounds pretty cool!

Cool
mikx

There are rumours about Infected Muchroom's upcoming album, which says that it will be made into 7.1 surround. That's why I asked if anyone has gotten a hold of any of these tunes.

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.myspace.com/sonitusswe
www.vibraonline.com
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 2004 19:17    

QBical wrote:
The idea of music in surround sound is just absurd...
I mean have you ever been to a band that played ehm around you!?
Sure you can use it for great FX's and maby give the whole track a spacious feel with a nice verb, but who will notice apart from us audiophiles?

Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) uses quadraphonic sound for his concerts. And it's the most amazing thing you've ever experienced at a show.

As for the surround sound issue with Madtracker, the best you can hope for is phaze manipulation to simulate surround sound. I'm too bored with the subject to explain further. Blah!

~Enon

If you do not agree with my opinions, you are wrong. If you do agree with my opinions you are drunk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://elrick-enonimis.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
InHousePussy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 2004 19:37    
enon

u is the most reliable pshyco of them all!!
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15 2004 15:13    

thank you.... mr in house pussy.....

~Enon

If you do not agree with my opinions, you are wrong. If you do agree with my opinions you are drunk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://elrick-enonimis.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
InHousePussy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15 2004 15:41    

my pleasure mr.enominominomines Cool
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16 2004 04:32    
Re: enon

inhousepussy wrote:
u is the most reliable pshyco of them all!!

pshyco: is it pronounced Sicko or Psycho?

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27 2004 17:37    
2 links

http://www.stud.uni-siegen.de/sven.koelsch/mpeg2mc/

This article describes in brief form, how you can make a multichannel (e.g. 5.1 channels) MPEG-Audiostream. This stream can be used as input for the I-Author Multiplexer in order to make an SVCD with ass-kicking 5.1 surround sound.

http://matrix-mixer.sourceforge.net/

MatrixMixer - is a DirectShow filter to upmix any stereo source to multiple speakers. Designed mainly for playback movies with stereo audio track on 5.1 audio systems. Distributed absolutely for free (FREEWARE, OpenSource).

Smile Martin
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2