MadTracker.org
Forum - CD and DVD burner on same system?
 Forum
General discussion
 CD and DVD burner on same system?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 2004 15:07    

Hi all

Sorry if this may be the wrong forum, but I`m pretty sure some of you guys (Inge)can help me with this one Wink

My system currently consists of a CD reader and a CD burner. I have purchased a DVD burner and wonder if it is adviseable to keep both of the CD burner and DVD burner. I`m afraid these components will conflict and result in an unstable system?

Any info is appreciated! Smile

Martin
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 2004 15:37    

DVD burners should always be set to master; CD burners tend to have less difficulties with being jumpered to slave. Both placing them on the same IDE port should not be a problem, since generic aspi drivers are used by Windows to control them. Chances of conflicts should be minimal; the only problem should be incompatibility, but that chance is just as big as when you place the reader on the same ide cable as the dvd burner.

Mind you: software that is coming with a burner normally is OEM, and thus *only* functions with the cd or dvd burner that it is being shipped with. If you use an OEM version, the other burner shall not be recognized in that specific burning program. Most advisable is to use a full retail version of Nero 6 (one of the few programs that supports so many DVD burners), and to update it completely from http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php. Try not to install multiple burning software packages, since their own drivers might intermingle and conflict with eachother. One or two programs should be enough.

Inge

Happy jumpering Smile

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
patm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 2004 15:45    

Hi,

My Dell computer came with a CD reader and a DVD burner installed. I took out the CD reader and replaced it with a 52x24x52 Cd-writer.
I have had no problems.

The computer is using Windows XP home edition.
The reason for the change was that there was a Teriffic rebate offer on the drive, and I wound up getting it for a little over 10 US dollars, plus it is a lot faster for burning CD's as compared to the DVD burner's speed.

Pat
View user's journal Send private message
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 2004 17:24    
thanks

Thanks guys! This was exactly the kind of usefull info I was hoping for. Smile

Inge: If a DVD burner comes bundled with a OEM burning software, the FULL retail version may NOT work... I read it in (PcWorld?) article... Not 100% sure, though...

anyway - THANKS!

Smile
Martin
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 2004 17:41    
Re: thanks

Martin wrote:
Inge: If a DVD burner comes bundled with a OEM burning software, the FULL retail version may NOT work... I read it in (PcWorld?) article... Not 100% sure, though...

The problem with mankind is that they read pc mags. They are normally written by a bunch of morons who have *one* experience, and then (without extensive testing) consider that one experience a fact. Do you actually think that there are manufacturers out there that put a software-recognizing limiter into their dvd-burners, so that it can only work with that specific oem-software edition?

Furthermore, don't you think that software-producers would only cut into their own fingers if they did such a thing? Why would they want to restrict people to using only the oem version? I can't think of any reason why people would want to do this. But, let's say I'm liberal, so you may try to convince me. You just have little chance Very Happy

It would amaze me. If you got a link, then I will certainly enjoy to read it. But from what I guess, the specific author just didn't uninstall his oem edition properly. Nero 5.5, for instance, had a terrible uninstaller, leaving vital register keys that made upgrading or installing 5.10 almost impossible.

Kind regards,
Inge

Blaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 2004 22:53    

my dvd burner also burns cd's and it does it at 40x speed, so why also a cd-writer?

united trackers
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 2004 23:20    

In addition to dual processor boards: dual burning rigs Very Happy We now only have to wait for Intel's first atapi device with hyperburning. You can put two cd's in the drive, and it burns them at the same time. Sounds, er, pretty useless uh? Brick wall

Inge

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 2004 03:11    

ok,

Heres the article - The point the writer of the article was making was that the Nero 6.0 OEM version supported the burner, Nero 5.5 Retail didn`t. http://www.dinside.no/php/art.php?id=98870 (in Norwegian)

The CD burner still attached to my system is for direct-cd-copy purposes. My CD burner proved faster than my CD reader, therefor I wanted to keep it.

Installation of the DVD burner was successful without problems! Smile

Martin
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 2004 07:44    

Martin wrote:
Heres the article - The point the writer of the article was making was that the Nero 6.0 OEM version supported the burner, Nero 5.5 Retail didn`t. http://www.dinside.no/php/art.php?id=98870 (in Norwegian)

That's something else. Version 6 has a more comprehensive database of burners than it supports. At the tech department where I work, we always advice 6 instead of 5.x (eventhough 5.x is more stable), because only then we know for sure that the specific dvd-burner will most probably be supported.

Eitherway, thank you for linking, but I have to admit that my Norwegian isn't what it used to be Wink

Inge

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour