MadTracker.org
Forum - I just have a quick question about Loops.
 Forum
Help and support
 I just have a quick question about Loops.
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Syndrom
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 2003 21:32    
I just have a quick question about Loops.

I'm new to MT2 and music creation all together. Though, I originally play bass, but that not what I'm here for. I read the FAQ and I did not seem to find the answer, so I have a quick question about a loop. Is there a way to get the loop to play threw the whole song?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 2003 21:51    

Once a loop is set, it will continue playing untill you use a note off command. I strongly advice you to work another way though. Syncing a loop for more than one pattern can be very difficult, because it will *never* be exactly as fast as the song bpm. If you got a loop that for instance takes 32 ticks to play, and then is being looped, enter it every new pattern to make sure that it keeps playing in the same tempo.

Kind regards,
Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Syndrom
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 2003 22:02    

Hrm. Well, this whole topic is still a little bit cloudy to myself. Though, you mentioned a more accurate route to take. How exactly would you go about that?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 2003 22:13    

Let's say that you make a loop of a piece of bass guitar that you play. You want to use it in a song that has a bpm of 120, and that uses patterns that are 64 ticks long. The bass guitar loop is 32 ticks long. Your goal is to use that loop throughout the song. This can be done in two ways:

1: loop the sample, enter the note at the first tick of the first pattern where you want to use it, and keep it looping until the end of the song (or the point where you want to make it stop).
Downside: the loop must be *exactly* the same speed as the song itself, and that can never be achieved. There will always be a difference in pitch, and thus after some looping the bass guitar loop will start playing out of sync (either too fast or too slow).
2: don't loop the sample, but enter the note for everytime you want to use it. In the case stated above, this would imply entering the note after every 32 ticks (so for instance a c4 at tick 1, a c4 at tick 32, and that every pattern where you want to use it).
Downside: none. It will always sync, because even if it is slightly faster or slower, the tempo chiasm won't be audible.

This is kind of hard to explain, but I hope this cleared it. Just try it. It's always the most simple solution to make the story above being understood Smile

Inge

Syndrom
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 2003 22:21    

Hmmm. Okay, so that makes sense. Thank you. =) Though, I really dont wish to waste your time by taking this simple problem and expanding into more. It's just, by learning this all this sub-questions comes up. I wont be a burden to you though, but thank you kindly for all of your help =)
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 2003 22:38    

Ask your heart out. I'm not the only one providing answers round here, so it will take quite some questions to get us all tired Smile

Inge

Syndrom
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 00:52    

ah. Thai Food is the rocks. But, I do have a question that bugs me. No where on MT2 can I find any info on where to count ticks. SO, I came up that you'd have to count them yourself and hope that it were correct. Please tell me there's an easier way. Wink
Brian
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 01:13    

Ask em22, he's been in the woods for a long time now so he should be able to count ticks for you. Or do you mean something else?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Syndrom
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 01:27    

How would I get a hold of this em22 person? O.o'
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 05:37    

Sorry. I meant the numbers on the left side of the screen. Every complete line has a number on the left. A pattern is 64 ticks (I dunno if it is the correct word) long.

Inge

Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 08:08    

That's a line, not a tick.
And every line is divided into ticks (usually 6).

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Brian
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 20:40    

Yeah as I was saying, I had a tick once, and it was mysteriously lodged in my belly button. Nasty infection ensued. But really, ask em22 about it, I bet he has had some recently.

Hope this helps!

~Brian
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Syndrom
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 21:17    

Oh, Brian was attempting to be funny. Kudos man, lol. Anyways, so my question is still in the air. Though, I think I have an understanding. Instead of extending the 'tick' I would extend the line, correct?
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 2003 22:15    

My gosh...no! You misunderstood.

My advice: try it. Post back later when you tried. It's impossible to comprehend this topic by words. Just enter the loop, leave it looping, and figure out that it will start playing out of sync after a while. Then, instead of letting the bassguiter sample loop, trigger it again after a loop is finished, and notice that it will remain playing in sync because it is retriggered everytime.

Trust me: try it, and write down your results.

Inge

Syndrom
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03 2003 03:21    
Thank you!

Yes, I think for once learning from the 'books or words' I've been working with that and comprehending everything else. Thank you for attempting to help me in all of this, Best regaurds.
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour