Forum
General discussion
 Creating a modem-friendly audiostream
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Daxx909

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 17:45    

em22 wrote:
I could be sounding real nieve here, I really dont cater for people below 128kb now days. The price of a broadband connection (even though 128k and 256k are no longer considered broadband) has dropped so much, there doesn't seem to be any reason why someone who is committed to using the internet for their musical interests would have basic dial up. Dial up these days I find, is used by complete beginners.

IT IS *NOT* ABOUT THE *PRICE*!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

There are a huge number of places in the world where there is *NO* cable and *NO* dsl, *nothing*!

I've actually *bought* a do-it-yourself-ISDN-kit, just to get a few kbps extra. I would have to move to another city if I wanted cable. So yeah, it *is* about the price, but I'm not gonna buy a new house just to get cable. Razz

After all is said and done, more is said than done.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 22:22    
Summary

Let's see if I got things straight:

the bitrate (kb/s) is sum of the amount of khz, stereo and total bitrate. For example, a mono 44 khz 16 bit mp3 will have a higher quality than a stereo 44 khz 16 bit mp3, since only one audio channel instead of two is used. Right?

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Pjo2000

PostPosted: Thu May 22 2003 01:43    

Daxx909 wrote:

IT IS *NOT* ABOUT THE *PRICE*!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

There are a huge number of places in the world where there is *NO* cable and *NO* dsl, *nothing*!

I've actually *bought* a do-it-yourself-ISDN-kit, just to get a few kbps extra. I would have to move to another city if I wanted cable. So yeah, it *is* about the price, but I'm not gonna buy a new house just to get cable. Razz

That is the problem with the world... the companies want you to change for them.. when really they should change for you.

Broadband has exploded here is Australia in the last few years.. because we have pushed and pushed for every type to be available to everybody with class actions and boycotts etc etc.

Options are now:

1. Cable
2. DSL
3. Wireless DSL
4. Satellite 1 or 2-way
5. Wireless bluetooth in close city area's
6. Powerline broadband
7. ISDN (which isnt really broadband, but you know)

The clever bastards are now bypassing Australia's biggest Telco "TELSTRA" by running fibre optics through the gas pipes, to save digging holes to put fibre in aging areas.

And powerline broadband.. man what an idea.. plugging a specially designed modem into your power outlet and recieving broadband internet through it... now THAT is available to everyone.. you should push for it in your country or area that you live if it is already in your country.

There really is no reason to still use 56k these days, unless your broadband service has gone down.. and you desperatley need to get on the net.

thats what i think anyway.

pjo2000

http://www.projectoverkill.com
D Vibe

PostPosted: Thu May 22 2003 10:40    
Re: Summary

Inge wrote:
Let's see if I got things straight:

the bitrate (kb/s) is sum of the amount of khz, stereo and total bitrate. For example, a mono 44 khz 16 bit mp3 will have a higher quality than a stereo 44 khz 16 bit mp3, since only one audio channel instead of two is used. Right?

Inge

No? I don't think so! But if you use stereo instead of joint stereo it'll encode the two channels independent of each other I think..

https://www.dvibe.se
mikx

PostPosted: Thu May 22 2003 18:21    

thats exactly what i said in my post!! (the one that explains the difference between j-stereo and stereo)..

Rolling Eyes
-mikx
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2